Each year the BTO presents 7 awards to those who have made an outstanding contribution to ornithology.
The Tucker and Jubilee Awards
- Tucker Award - for outstanding service to the BTO scientific work or investigations.
- Jubilee Award - for committed work to the BTO other than directly to its scientific work.
The Tucker and Jubilee Awards are given by council to BTO members where their service to the trust has been voluntary. The awards are presented by the BTO at the annual conference in December.
The Dilys Breese Medal
Awarded to an outstanding communicator who delivers science to new audiences. The Dilys Breese BTO Medal is awarded on an annual basis by the BTO. Dilys Breese, a former Vice President of the BTO, was a renowned radio and television producer. In her honour the BTO Council created the Dilys Breese BTO Medal.
The Marsh Awards
The Marsh Awards are supported by the Marsh Christian Trust and presented by the BTO at the Society of Wildlife Artists (SWLA) event in October. See below for downloadable forms and details of each award.
- Marsh Award for Ornithology - Awarded to an ornithologist who is making a significant contribution to the field, typically someone who gained a PhD between ten and twenty years prior to the award being made.
- Marsh Award for Local Ornithology - Awarded to a bird club or group that publishes a book, completes a study or conducts any other exceptional activity in the preceding calendar year that advances knowledge about birds.
- Marsh Award for Innovative Ornithology - Awarded to an individual or group who have substantially advanced our understanding of avian ecology and whose work positively reflects pioneering work in the field to the wider public.
- Marsh Award for International Ornithology - Awarded to an individual scientist whose work on the international stage has had significant influence on British ornithology, especially as reflected in the work of BTO scientists and volunteers.
- Marsh Award for Young Ornithologist - Awarded to an individual (or group of people) under the age of 18 who has/have made a significant contribution to BTO bird monitoring schemes and shared this information with their peers. The value of the prize is £500.
Take a look at our list our ornithological award winners including TV presenter and naturalist Chris Packham and Environmental journalist and author, Mike McCarthy.
How to nominate
Use the webform below to submit nominations for Tucker, Jubilee and Marsh awards. The closing date for submissions is 31 May each year.
The Dilys Breese Medal is nominated by BTO staff and previous medal winners only.