The BTO's Chris Mead Library is housed at the BTO headquarters in Thetford, in what was the Chapel of the old Nunnery.
Whilst primarily for the use of staff and members, non-members are very welcome to use it for research purposes.
If it is not possible for you to visit personally, BTO members may
borrow books by post, and copies of papers can be supplied electronically or by post. Non-members may also request copies. Please contact the librarian with your enquiries, and refer to:
We keep extensive archives of survey material, personal papers & more.
Holdings information is detailed in the Library Catalogue.
- NEW BOOKS - new books added to the library: October-December 2018
- NEW BIRD REPORTS received, as listed in BTO News issue 329, Winter 2018.
A big THANK YOU to all the Clubs & Societies who send their annual reports to the Library. Our collection is second-to-none, thanks to your continued support!
If any reports are also available digitally (in addition to print), we would really appreciate both versions. PDF or Word documents are fine.
- Looking for Open/Free Access?
Check the ONLINE RESOURCES LIST for links to freely available digital publications and other material.
. From 2019 THE AUK and THE CONDOR are now both published by Oxford University Press - online only.
- Catalogue - browse the catalogue to see what the library holds.
- New Books - new items received in the Library.
- Online Resources - list to help you find useful open access journals and other information.
- BTO Archives - including survey information, along with historical and personal papers.
- BirdFacts - information on individual species, including details of relevant publications.
Please address all correspondence, and return all borrowed items, to:
The Librarian (Carole Showell)
British Trust for Ornithology
Norfolk IP24 2PU
Email : library [at] bto.org
Tel. 01842 750050
Fax. 01842 750030